Visual KPI interfaces allow the Visual KPI Server to communicate with and retrieve data from external data sources, such as a PI Server, a SQL database, or a SmartSignal system. To access these systems, you must install an appropriate interface and define the system using Visual KPI Designer.
To access these systems, or create the interface:
- Install an appropriate interface using Visual KPI Server Manager. A Visual KPI Interface defines how to retrieve the required data from the external data source.
- Define the interface using Visual KPI Designer. Visual KPI Designer is used to define how to access the data source.
If the system is external to Visual KPI Server, credentials may be required to access the system. You can specify the credentials when defining the Interfaces.
Steps for Installing Visual KPI Interfaces
Setting up a Visual KPI interface involves these common procedures, no matter what the data source:
- Install data source native client tools on Visual KPI Server. See Prerequisites and Downloads for links to the vendor drivers and other required software.
- PI: PI SDK
- SQL: SQL Management Studio or SQL connectivity driver. Note: The SQL interface feature is no longer available. It is included here for users that have existing SQL interfaces. Use ODBC interfaces instead.
- Oracle: Oracle Drivers with ODAC and test them with Toad
- Wonderware: Wonderware SDK
- GE SDK
- Aspen: SQL driver
- Inmotion: No drivers
- JSON: Nodrivers
- Using Visual KPI Server Manager, install the interface.
- Use Visual KPI Server Manager to configure the connection.
- Verify the connection.
- Test the connection.
- Use Visual KPI Designer to define an interface for a KPI.
See Interfaces & Data Sources for articles on how to install, configure, verify and test each type of Interface.