As some of you have noticed when your iOS devices were recently upgraded from iOS 7.x to iOS 8.0, 8.0.1, and 8.1, logging into Visual KPI sites with authentication introduced some problems, including sites hanging and/or users being re-prompted for security credentials each time they click on something.
This has been reported many times now around the web and it appears to be an issue with iOS and specifically the Safari browser in these versions of iOS. Here are some links about it if you want to have a look yourself:
- iOS 8 Safari not working with sites using Windows Authentication (again)
- iOS 8 Safari Cannot Access Windows Authentication IIS websites
The good news is that in most cases (see the first link above – it’s complicated) upgrading it iOS 8.1.1 fixes the issue. Just today we ran a series of tests on the following iOS devices with Visual KPI to see where we stand:
- iOS 8.0 safari (any device) – failed
- iOS 8.0.1 safari (any device) – failed
- iOS 8.1 safari iPad 3 – failed
- iOS 8.1.1 safari iphone 6 – success
- iOS 8.1.1 safari iphone 5 – success
- iOS 8.1.1 safari iPad 3 – success
- iOS 8.3 safari iPhone 5 – failed on SSL (https://); success without SSL
- iOS 8.3 safari iPhone 6 – success (http:// and https://)
While not a complete set of tests (yet), we do know (and suggest) the following to resolve this while we wait for Apple to formally address the issue:
- iOS 8.1.1 appears to solve the issue for most devices (possibly not all). Please update your devices and let us know if you still see issues.
- Using Google Chrome instead of Safari works in all cases we have found
As always, we will monitor this closely with Apple and update you as they provide more information.